Well, I’m here to tell you that that this perception is just not the case.
It's common practice amongst large agencies to brag about the size of their team and how the 5 or 6 agents that might visit your home on their "Caravan or Stock Run" prior to marketing your property will all be working to sell your home. You're told that these other agents have their own buyers that they are working with other than the listing agent's buyers and that instead of just having one person working 8 hours a day, 40 plus hours a week, to sell your home you now have a team working around 240 hours collectively. As someone who has worked in a large real estate business I can tell you with some authority that roughly 99% of them will never be seen by you again. Generally speaking, the listing agent will be the one to sell your home which is how it should be. In my opinion, it is misleading and wrong to advertise the fantasy that there is a large team of agents all focussed on you and your property when its just not the truth.
Let's put this in perspective for you. I’d like to outline some of the benefits of working with a smaller boutique agency like mine, One Agency Pinkerton Properties.
1. Firstly, I own the business so I have a direct vested interest in getting you the best result possible. You deal with me, the principal. You won’t be dealing with a salesperson who has nothing to lose. The success of my business directly relates to the success you achieve as my client. If I don’t provide great service and achieve a great result for you then my business and reputation is on the line.
2. I only work with a limited number of clients at any one time so you can be assured that you will get the extra attention you deserve.
3. I live and work in the area and as such I know the local market.
4. I'm prepared to share my commission with every agent in Newcastle without exception at no extra cost to you. Because of the rivalries that exist between some of the larger real estate groups this is often doesn't happen. Hostility and conflict occur regularly among the larger groups. I have seen it first hand.
5. I’m a trained negotiator with an impecable sales history spanning more than 20 years
6. Because of the changes social media and the internet now play in our daily lives, over 97% of all Buyer enquiry is derived from the Internet real estate portals such as www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au. This means that prospective buyers will find your property regardless of who your agent is. If your property is well marketed; you are getting the feedback you need; are priced right and your home is presented really well, it will sell.
Regardless of who you select to work with (large or small) I wish you all the best with the sale of your property. If you’re still not sure please consider talking to your local small agency about moving. Chances are you will get better service than you ever thought possible.