Adorn your Walls
One effective way to create an impact is with lighting, so for starters place Christmas lights around windows, doorframes, railings, and the bathroom mirror. If you are switching to new lights, purchase LEDs or solar-powered lights to save on energy bill.
Then, get tinsel and lots of it. That slinky, shiny rope is perfect over railings, around doorways or across the ceiling of any part of the house.
Don’t forget Christmas stockings. They are usually hung over the fireplace. Be unique this year by hanging them on a shelf, window or even the back of a chair. Display your Christmas cards. This is a simple way to add seasonal imagery and reminisce over loved ones.
Create the Right Ambiance
Small details can go a long way towards creating a seasonal mood to your home.
- Create an evocative scent in your home. You can easily do this with a six-inch piece of fresh rosemary, a cinnamon stick and lavender tied together with a red ribbon.
- Adorn your front doorknob with a couple of large silver bells tied together by a festive ribbon.
- Hide those unread magazines and books scattered on the tables and countertops, and replace them with Christmas books. Entertain the kids and get yourself in the mood by reading the books aloud.
- Get plain white candles and stand them in a glass jars; wrap green, red or gold ribbon around them and put on mantles, tables and the bathroom.
Merry Craft Ideas
If you can set aside a little time for some arts and craft, create your own decorations and treats:
- Have fun baking gingerbread men. They are perfect for serving to surprise visitors. Gather your kids and relative for a fun after of baking. Put a hole at the top of the ginger bread man before baking, so you can insert a ribbon through them and hang them on the Christmas tree.
- You can make interesting and inexpensive baubles out of pinecones or fallen banksia pods. Just put a splash of gold paint and a ribbon on them.
- Apply chalkboard paint on baubles and they can be unique Christmas decorations where your friends and family can write personal messages.
The Finishing Touches
Swathe your furniture with some green and red slipcovers. Then start gift wrapping the items you’ve already purchased and place them under the tree. Your family will be excited and will wish Christmas morning arrives soon!